Updated: June 18, 2019.
- Google Calendar (GC) Overview.
- How to Download Google Calendar on Your Android Phone or Tablet.
- Steps to Download the App on Your iPhone & iPad.
- How to Use GC in your PC or MacBook.
- Steps to Create New Google Calendars for Multiple Purposes.
- How to Use GC to Hide your Event Details.
- Steps to Use GC to Add a Google Hangout to your Event.
- How to Schedule a Meeting with groups On Google Calendar using “Find a time” or “Suggested times”.
- Steps to Share your Calendars with Others.
If you juggle concurrent tasks and need to keep track of all your tasks and events, Google Calendar has a lot of new features to help you with the management of all your daily tasks and meeting agenda. Google Calendar is a free time management web and mobile application that is available on Android and iOS devices. It can also be used on computers as a web application with the same functionality. Though offered as a scheduling service, Google Calendar has been around for quite some time. It has got new and improved features to make life easier for users.
With your Gmail account, you can easily set up your personal Google Calendar. It is a simple application especially when you use it as a personal calendar. It gets a bit complex once you begin to integrate your personal calendar with your weekly meeting schedule. So, the more events you have on your agenda the less simple it gets. In this article, we will explore how best you can utilize Google Calendar features to make your life easier.
How to Download Google Calendar on Your Android Phone or Tablet
- Open Google Play on your Android device.
- Type “Google Calendar” on the search bar.
- Click on the Google Calendar link on the search result.
- On the next page, tap Install to start the installation.
- Click Open when the app installation is finished.
- Then, Sign In with your Google Account.
Steps to Download Google Calendar on Your iPhone & iPad
- Go to App Store of your iPhone or iPad.
- Type “Google Calendar” on the search bar
- Click on the Google Calendar link on the search result
- On the next page, click on Get to start the download.
- Open the app and sign in with your Google Account.
How to Use Google Calendar in your PC or MacBook
You will need web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Safari in order to be able to use Google Calendar on either your laptop, desktop or MacBook. Here are the steps that you can follow:
- Type calendar.google.com on your web browser and hit the enter button.
- On the next page, provide your Google Account details (Username & Password). You can create a new Google account if you don’t have an existing account.
- Click on Sign In. This will take you to Google Calendar.
There are a lot of cool features of Google Calendar that can help you keep track of all your daily events and make you become more productive. Below is the step-by-step approach on how to use Google Calendar to maximize efficiency.
Steps to Create New Google Calendars for Multiple Purposes
By default, Google Calendar offers you one calendar to start with. It always has your name under “My calendars”, when you sign in with your Google account. If you schedule or use your calendar for multiple purposes, it is recommended that you create a separate calendar for each event. Here are the steps to create new calendars:
- Open calendar.google.com on your web browser and Sign In with your Google account.
- On the homepage, click the plus sign (+) next to “My calendars,” and you will see a drop-down menu.
- Click on “New calendar”.
- Choose a Name for your new calendar.
- Write a brief Description and set the Time Zone
- Then, click on “Create Calendar” and your new calendar is ready.
How to Use Google Calendar to Hide your Event Details.
In order to make private the details of certain events on your calendar such as meetings you host, attend or anything else:
- Click on the event name from your calendar view and select the pencil icon to edit the event’s details.
- On the next page, locate the Briefcase icon just above the event description field.
- Set the first field to “Busy”.
- Click on the second field and select “Private” from the drop-down.
- Tap the blue “Save” button at the top of your screen and you are good to go.
Steps to Use Google Calendar to Add a Google Hangout to your Event.
To create an event for a particular day, you can use two options when you are logged in:
- You can double click on the calendar date of that particular day or click on the Plus Sign (+) (circled in red) at the bottom right of your computer screen.
- Add the title of the event
- Set the event duration – specify whether it’s all day event or not
- Add location
- Under “Add conferencing”, select Hangouts
- Add Notification. It can be set to occur multiple times with the option of email.
- Click on “Save” at the top of your screen and Google will set up hangout for your event attendees to use.
How to Schedule a Meeting with groups On Google Calendar using “Find a time” or “Suggested times”.
Arranging a meeting for many persons who have busy schedules can be very challenging. Nothing is so daunting than trying to figure out when everyone will be available.
- To use the “Suggested times” feature, make sure you have added everyone to the event who needs to attend in the first place. Then, select the “Suggested times” link below your guests’ names. You will see a drop-down menu with a list of times when every meeting guest is free with no possible conflicts.
Another way to find a time that is most suitable for every invited meeting guest is to use “Find a time” feature. Here are the steps:
- Choose the “Find a time,” tab which is next to “Event details” tab on the create event window.
- Everyone’s schedules will be displayed side-by-side for the day you intend to hold the meeting.
- Find out a time when none of your guests have conflicts.
- Then, click on that line of the calendar to highlight the time
- Tap “Save” at the top of your Calendar to save.
Steps to Share your Calendars with Others.
To share your calendar with others,
- Click on the plus sign (+) next to the preferred calendar.
- Select “Settings and sharing”
- On the next page, there is a number of options to choose from.
- You can make your calendar public by checking the box marked “Make available to public”. Only use this option when you want to show everyone the event details.
- Click on “Add People” to add persons to your calendar. You will have the option to choose their individual permissions such as “See only free/busy (hide all details)”, “See all event details”, “Make changes to events”, “Make changes and manage sharing”).
- Click on the back arrow at the top-lefthand corner of your screen to cause Google to automatically save your new calendar settings and return you to your calendar view.
With Google calendar, you can use some keyboard shortcuts. You can use the letter “c” to create an event, “t” to move your calendar view to today, or “q” to quickly add an event.