In This Article:
- Gmail Overview.
- How to Turn On Keyboard Shortcuts in Gmail New Account Settings on Computer.
- Steps to Turn On Custom Keyboard Shortcuts in Gmail.
- How to Use Smart Compose Feature in Gmail
- Steps to Recall Sent Email in Gmail.
- How to Create Canned Responses in Gmail
Gmail is probably the most preferred email service that is available in many countries today. There are over 1.5 billion active users of Gmail. The email service is offered in more than 74 different languages around the world. In order to do more with your Gmail new account, you need to have a clear understanding of Gmail new account settings. Learning how to configure your Gmail account will improve your experience and give you the kind of speed you deserve.
Gmail new account settings will help you to effectively utilize all the new features of the redesigned Gmail. Knowing different settings will help you to organize your work in a timely manner. This is because Gmail is full of shortcuts that can assist you to be more efficient and productive. Gmail new account settings are designed to suit the way we use email services today. In this write-up, I will show you how to use different Gmail new account settings to achieve many tasks. Below are the settings that improve your Gmail experience
How to Turn On Keyboard Shortcuts in Gmail New Account Settings on Computer
Gmail users can now use different shortcuts to complete various actions such as inbox and message navigation, composing of new email, formatting of text, archiving and deleting. It should be noted that keyboard shortcuts work differently on Windows PC and Mac computers. On Windows PC, you will use the Ctrl key instead of ⌘ key of Mac. Here are the steps:
- Sign into your Gmail on your computer
- Click on Settings icon at the top right corner
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu
- Under the General tab, scroll down until you see “Keyboard Shortcuts”
- Check the “Keyboard shortcuts on”
- Click “Save Changes” at the bottom of the page to save
How to Turn On Custom Keyboard Shortcuts in Gmail
- Log into your Gmail account on your computer
- At the top right corner, click on the Settings icon
- Tap Settings on the drop-down menu.
- Then, click on the “Advanced” tab.
- Next to “Custom keyboard shortcuts,” click Enable.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page to save. This will cause your Gmail inbox page to refresh.
After saving your changes and you have your Gmail open, type ? to see a complete list of keyboard shortcuts you can use, including the ones that need to be turned on.
How to Use Smart Compose Feature in Gmail
Smart compose is one the “new Gmail” features that save you time by predicting what you are going to write before you even start typing. Just like text message auto-complete, it helps you to predict the next text you want to type. To be able to use this feature, you will need to activate the “New Gmail”.
- Open Gmail on your computer
- Navigate to the Settings icon at the top right corner
- Select “Try the new Gmail” if you are yet to switch to the latest Gmail from Google.
- After activation, go back to Settings and from the “General” tab, Check the box marked “Enable experimental access”
- Scroll down and Click on Save Changes. This refreshes your page and starts Smart Compose automatically for you. Always use the “tab”key on your keyboard when composing an email to complete your sentence as soon as Google predicts next words for you. Just make sure that the suggestions are in line with what you want to type.
How to Recall Sent Email in Gmail New Account
The Gmail new account settings allow you to recall emails that you must have sent in error. Reasons abound for you to forward an email before you were ready. At times, you may have sent an email to the wrong email address. That has to be recalled. Maybe you never reviewed or proofread the content of the email before sending. The good news is that you can stop it from delivering if you act very fast.
By default, Gmail account allows you up to five seconds to stop a message from the moment you hit the “Send” button. In Gmail new account settings you can increase the time by:
- Clicking on Settings icon at the top right corner of your Gmail inbox.
- From the General tab, navigate to the line labeled “Undo Send.”
- You will have the choice to set the Send cancellation period from the drop-down menu from 5, 10, 20 to 30 seconds. Set the one you want.
- Then, scroll down and hit Save Changes.
How to Create Canned Responses in Gmail
Creating canned responses saves you a lot of time. This is another benefit of Smart Compose. It gives you the ability to create “canned responses.” People who receive lots of messages from many different people covering the same question or topic create canned responses. What this means is that instead of retyping, or forwarding, or copying and pasting, you can pre-draft a canned response and send it over and over again. Here are the steps to use when you want to create canned responses:
- Click on the Settings icon and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- When the Settings page opens, you will find several tabs including “Advanced.”
- Click on “Advanced” button and find the line “Canned Responses (Templates)”
- Select Enable
- Scroll down and select “Save Changes”. This will refresh your Gmail Inbox.
After setup, you can create a canned response by clicking as if you were creating a new message. Then, find the “More Options” icon which is a three dotted button in the bottom-right. Click on it and select Canned Responses. To learn more, check out our article on how to create, edit and delete Canned Responses in Gmail.