Echo Show video calling is one of the awesome features of the new Echo smart home device. You can use Echo Show to control all Alexa-compatible devices and even Drop-In or monitor your baby in another room. It allows you to watch a live feed from your smart camera via its display features. Echo Show works well with and shows video from the Netgear Arlo Pro, Ring Doorbell, the August Home Doorbell Cam, Nest Cam, Logitech Circle 2 and so on. Above all, Echo Show allows you to make video calls to other Echo Show owners, or to anyone with the Alexa app on their mobile phone or tablet.
- Overview of Echo Show Video Calling.
- How to Make Amazon Echo Show Video & Voice Call.
- Steps that You can Use to Answer or Hang Up Alexa or Echo Calls.
- How to Turn On or Off the Drop-In Feature on Amazon Alexa Echo Devices.
Yes, all Amazon Echo device support voice calls to other Echo owners but Echo Show video calling is a special feature of the Echo Show device. With the Echo Show video calling functionality, you can also receive and make those calls via the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone. Echo Show video calling is powered by the inbuilt 5-megapixel camera. All you’ve to do is to ensure that people you want to call are in your contact list and also have an Echo Show or the Alexa app installed on their mobile phone or tablet. To Drop In on other Echo Show owners is also possible but it’s not cool for some persons.
How to Make Amazon Echo Show Video & Voice Call
Here are the steps you can use to make Amazon Echo Video call:
- Launch the Alexa app on your Android, iPhone, or tablet to search for people you can contact.
- Tap the Speech Bubble on the left side of the bottom toolbar. This will take you to the Communication screen.
- Click on the Contacts icon at the top right corner of your screen. Note that if it’s your first time using the communication feature, the Alexa app will ask for permission to access your Contacts.
- Select Allow to continue. You may also need to enter a valid phone number and confirm it if this is the first time you’re using the feature.
- A list of all the people you can call with your Echo will appear. Tap any contact to see their information.
- To start a video or voice call from the Alexa app, tap the icon underneath each person’s name in your contact list.
- If you want to start a voice call from the Echo device itself, just say “Alexa, call Jim Brooks”. The Echo will try to establish that it heard you right and then initiate the call. In case you have an Echo (2nd Gen) or Echo Dot (3rd Gen), the ring at the top will pulse green while your call is ongoing.
By default, all calls with someone who has an Echo Show or the Alexa app, start as a video call. To turn off the video after the call has started, just say, “video off” or tap the video button on the screen.
How to Answer or Hang Up Alexa or Echo Show Video Calls
It’s very easy to take calls on Alexa & Echo devices. To answer a call, just say, “Alexa answer.” To end a call, say “Alexa, end call” or “Alexa, hang up.” On an Echo Show, you can also tap the Hang Up button on the screen to end a call.
How to Turn On or Off the Drop-In Feature on Amazon Alexa Echo Devices
The Drop-In feature is similar to a two-way intercom system. The feature allows you to connect instantly to all compatible Amazon Alexa Echo devices. It allows you to open instant two-way communication between your Alexa contacts or your Amazon Alexa devices. Usually, when a Drop-In arrives, the green light indicator on your Amazon Echo pulses and there is an immediate connection between you and your contact. It’s important to note that for this feature to work, you and your Alexa contact must grant each other Drop In permissions. Below are the steps you can use to turn on the Drop-In feature on your compatible Amazon Alexa Echo devices:
- Launch the Alexa App on your mobile device.
- Tap the Devices icon.
- Select Echo & Alexa, and then choose your device.
- Choose Communications.
- Tap Drop-In, and then choose which permissions to enable or disable.
And you’re good to go. You can also turn off the drop In feature using Alexa app by selecting Communicate>Contacts>My Profile>Settings. Then,
toggle Drop In to Off position. It’s also important to note that you cannot Drop-In on the Alexa app but can only use it to manage Drop-In feature for a particular Amazon Alexa Echo device.
Echo Show video calling works like this. When you place an Echo Show video call, it will ring up dialed user’s phone via the Alexa app, or on every Echo device connected to the account. It’s also possible to send and receive messages using the Alexa app from the same page you had placed a call. You can also connect to other devices in your home to make a quick announcement or check in on the kids instantly. It also supports Skype calling, and the service is available in over 160 countries around the world.