Echo Dot 3rd Generation is one the most popular and affordable smart speakers available in the market today. It is an efficient voice-controlled speaker that smart home lovers go for. Echo can hear you from across the room. Suppose you have some Echo-compatible devices in different rooms, you can fill your entire home with music. You can ask Alexa Echo to stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, and others via the improved speaker for a great listening experience.
- Echo Dot 3rd Generation Overview.
- Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation App Download.
- How to Setup Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation.
- Steps to Connect Amazon Echo Device to Wi-Fi Network.
- How to Play Multi-Room Music on Amazon Echo Dot
- How to Make the Aux Cable Work on Amazon Echo Devices Or How to Connect Audio Sources such as Laptop, PC or Mobile Phone to your Echo Devices.
With Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen) you can sync multiple Echo Dots or connect other speakers you have via Bluetooth or the 3.5 mm audio cable to increase the sound quality. If you have smart home devices, you can use the Echo Dot to control lights, fans, switches, thermostats, locks, garage doors, find TV shows, and so on. Amazon Echo Dot can also help you to make an announcement to every room with a compatible Echo device. With Dot, you can initiate a call, send a text message, and even use your voice to ask Alexa to set alarms, answer questions, read the news, or check the weather.
Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation App Download
Alexa app is the right app you’ll need to download on your mobile phone or tablet (Android or iOS) in order to be able to set up your Amazon Echo dot 3rd generation successfully. You can easily download the app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store depending on the device you use.
How to Setup Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation
Here are the steps to set up your Echo Dot device:
- Plug the micro USB cable into the back of your Echo Dot.
- Connect the standard USB end into the power adapter, then into a wall socket. When the initialization process is complete, Alexa will tell you that you’re ready to get online.
- Launch the Alexa App on your mobile phone or tablet. If you don’t have the app, you can download the app from Google Play Store for Android or Apple App Store for the iOS devices (iPhone & iPad).
- Sign into your Amazon account. You can create a new Amazon account if you don’t have an existing one. If you already use the Amazon app on your phone, it might pick up your account automatically.
- On the next page, select Echo Dot
- Confirm your language option, then hit the Connect to Wi-Fi button.
- Click on the Continue button. Your phone will then attempt to connect to your Echo Dot automatically. If this doesn’t work, the Alexa app will ask you to press and hold Dot’s action button (the one with a bump) for a few seconds.
- Tap the Continue button again as soon as it finds the device.
- Next, add the Echo Dot to your Wi-Fi network. Tap on the name of your network and then enter the network password.
- Click Connect and your Echo will go online.
How to Connect Amazon Echo Device to Wi-Fi Network
You connect your Echo device to a Wi-Fi network so that it can answer questions, stream media, and process your voice commands. It’s important to note that Alexa Echo devices cannot connect to peer-to-peer or ad-hoc networks. You can connect both the Echo devices with a screen or without a screen to a Wi-Fi network. Here are the steps you can use to connect Amazon Echo devices without a screen to a Wi-Fi network:
- Power on your Amazon Echo Device
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile device.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Tap Device Settings.
- Choose your Echo device from the available devices list.
- Select Change next to Wi-Fi Network
- Choose the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to.
- Enter your Wi-Fi network password if prompted and follow the instructions in the Alexa app to finish.
Note that you don’t need the Alexa app to connect your Amazon Echo devices with a screen to Wi-Fi. Here are the steps you can use to connect Amazon Echo devices with a screen:
- Swipe down from the top of the device’s screen and select Settings. Alternatively, you just say, “Go to settings” and the Alexa-enabled device will hear you.
- Choose Network from the drop-down menu.
- Tap the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to and enter the network password if prompted. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to complete.
In case your network is not available on the list, scroll down to find advanced Wi-Fi options. There is a possibility that your Wi-Fi network may not show up on the list too. What do you do? You just scroll down and select Add a Network (for hidden networks). Alternatively, you can choose to Rescan for available networks.
How to Play Multi-Room Music on Amazon Echo Dot
Multi-Room Music is an in-built feature that allows users of Echo compatible devices to play and control music at the same time. You can play music across Echo devices and speakers that are compatible in multiple rooms. Below are the steps that you can use to create a Multi-Room Music group:
- Launch the Alexa app on your mobile device
- Tap the Devices icon.
- Select the + icon and then Add Multi-Room Music Speakers.
- Choose from the preset group names. Alternatively, you can create your own by selecting Custom Name.
- Select which devices to include and then select Create Group.
- Just say, “Play [your music selection] on [your group name]” to begin Multi-Room Music playback.
It’s important to note that Audio from video content does not play on Multi-Room Music Groups. The list of all supported Echo devices and speaker pairs is also available on the Alexa app during Multi-Room Music setup.
How to Make the Aux Cable Work on Amazon Echo Devices Or How to Connect Audio Sources such as Laptop, PC or Mobile Phone to your Echo Devices.
You can connect your Echo devices to an external speaker using Bluetooth or an AUX cable. Amazon Echo devices come with a 3.5mm audio cable. This Audio In/Out facility allows you to play audio from an external audio source such as a desktop computer, laptop and mobile phone, on your compatible Echo device. It also allows you to connect to external speakers. All you’ll need to do is to configure your AUX settings in the Alexa app. Below are the steps that you can use to connect audio sources like laptop, PC, & mobile phone to your Echo devices:
- Turn on your audio source or external speaker.
- Plug one end of the 3.5mm audio cable into your Echo device and the other end into your audio source (laptop, PC, or mobile phone) or your external speaker.
- Open the Alexa App.
- On the Home Screen, select the Devices icon.
- Select your device, and then select AUX Audio.
Tap Line In and you’re good to go. For best results, Amazon recommends that you place the devices 3 ft apart. You can also switch to the audio cable if you’re already streaming music from the cloud and your audio cable is plugged. Just say, “Switch to audio cable”. This will automatically activate the audio in. There are several Settings options that you can choose from when you are on the Alexa App Devices Setup page. For any option that you select, you can follow the instructions to complete.
Echo Dot 3rd Generation allows you the opportunity to decide how you want to connect to your device. You have three options to choose from. It could be Bluetooth, Audio Cable, or No speakers. If you don’t want to use either of these, the last option will play all audio via Dot’s basic speakers. Once the setup is complete, Alexa app will offer to show you a quick demo. You may choose to review the video. You can also accept or decline Amazon Prime and Prime Music offer. in other words, you can set up Amazon prime with your Echo Dot (3rd Gen). What a smart device, you’ve got!