If you receive a large number of email correspondences on daily basis and your role requires that you respond to every one of them, then the new Gmail Canned responses (CRs) is for you. The CR is a Gmail feature that allows users to create and save multiple email templates in their inbox. You can easily enable, create, use, edit or delete your CR or templates. It all starts with you making some changes under your Gmail Settings.
Nothing can be so boring and tiring than having to repeatedly copy and paste the same email response over and over again. With the new Gmail CRs, you can set a well thought out pre-written response to emails you receive. You can use or edit any of the prepared templates to instantly reply to emails while on the move. Gmail CRs are designed to support your busy schedule. Whether Templates or CRs, both are basically the same thing.
How to Enable Canned Responses or Templates in the New Gmail
Below are the first time steps you need to take in order to enable CRs in the new Gmail:
- Sign In to your Gmail Account on your PC or MacBook
- Click the “Settings icon” at the top right corner of your Inbox home screen and then, select “Settings” from the drop-down menu
- Tap the “Advanced” tab
- Click “Enable” against the “Canned Responses (Templates)” line.
- Scroll down and select “Save Changes”. This will refresh your Gmail Inbox.
How to Create a Canned Response in the New Gmail
Here are the steps to create a Canned Response in the New Gmail:
- Click the “+ Compose” icon to start a new email
- Type the email you want to save as a template.
- Click the “Three Dots” in the bottom right of the compose window, hover over “Canned responses, and click “New canned response.”
- Enter a “Name” for your canned response in the popup window that will appear and tap “Ok”.
- Click the “+ Compose” icon again to start a new email to test the canned responses, you just created.
- Tap the “Three Dots” in the bottom right of the compose window, hover over “Canned responses, and click on the response title you just created to insert it into the body of your mail. Once the response has been pasted, click the blue “Send” button.
You can use the above steps to create, save and send templates as many times as possible depending on your needs.
How to Edit Canned Responses in Gmail
At times, you may want to change your Gmail CRs. Here are the steps that you can use to edit Canned Responses in Gmail:
- Click the “+ Compose” icon to start a new email. Always make sure the entire message area is empty so that you can edit only the canned responses.
- Click the “Three Dots” in the bottom right of the compose window, and Select “Canned responses.”
- Choose the template you want to edit, from the “Insert” section, so that it will be imported into the body of your message.
- Edit template as you want.
- Go back to the “Three Dots” in the bottom right of the compose window, and Select “Canned responses.”.
- Select the same template as before, but under the “Save” section so that it will be saved over the existing template.
- Tap “OK” to “Confirm overwrite canned response” prompt. This will overwrite your saved canned response and you are good to go.
How to Delete Canned Responses in Gmail
Below are the steps you can use to delete canned responses in the new Gmail:
- Click the “+ Compose” icon to start a new email message.
- Tap the “Three Dots” in the bottom right of the compose window, hover over “Canned responses, and under the “Delete” section, click the canned response you want to delete.
- Click OK to confirm.
It is important to note that Gmail will not overwrite any existing text in the body of your new message except if you highlight it before inserting the template’s text. This means that you can type message manually and then insert a templated canned response message to have it included after your custom text.