Amazon Echo Plus is another great product of Amazon. It allows users the opportunity to realize their smart home dream. In other words, it gives smart home lovers the ability to bring to life their smart home aspirations. To many, Amazon Echo Plus is not just a high-end hands-free speaker but, also an essential smart hub platform that every household needs. You can control Amazon Echo Plus with a simple voice command. Amazon Echo Plus comes with an in-built ZigBee smart home hub, which provides an easy way to set up all your compatible ZigBee lights, plugs, etc. It helps you save some costs because you don’t have to get an extra hub. In this writeup, we first describe the things you can do with Echo Plus and how you can set it up using Wi-Fi Simple Setup. Then, a deep dive into what Wi-Fi Simple Setup means.
- Amazon Echo Plus Overview.
- How to Setup Echo Plus.
- Steps to Setup your Amazon Echo Plus if you don’t have your Wi-Fi Credentials saved to Amazon.
- List of Amazon Devices that You can Setup with Wi-Fi Simple Setup.
- How to Connect Audio Sources – Laptop, PC or Mobile Phone to your Echo Devices.
Amazon Echo Plus is powered by a cloud-based voice service – Alexa. With Echo Plus, you can ask Alexa to play music, make calls, set timers and alarms. You can also ask Alexa to provide you information latest news and prevailing weather conditions. Amazon Echo Plus allows you to manage your to-do checklist and shopping lists. Alexa has over 50 thousand skills. For example, you can ask Alexa to play music from Amazon Music, Spotify or TuneIn. You use Echo Plus to turn lights in the room on or off. With Amazon Echo Plus, you can make hands-free calls or send messages to other Echo devices or the Alexa App. It also comes with Bluetooth and 3.5 mm stereo cable for connection to external speakers or headphones.
How to Setup Amazon Echo Plus
You can set up your Amazon Echo Plus in two ways after unboxing:
- Use of in-built WiFi Simple Setup (for 2nd generation and newer Echo Plus, Echo Dot, Echo Show, and Fire TV streaming media players), and
- Setup using Alexa App (for older Echo Dot (1st Gen), Echo (1st Gen), and Amazon Tap.
One may be wondering what Wi-Fi simple setup truly means. Don’t worry, I will break it down for you. The Wi-Fi simple setup is one of Amazon’s special setup programs. It is designed to eliminate all forms of frustrations that customers face while trying to connect or set up their Amazon devices. The Wi-Fi simple setup allows you to connect your Echo Plus (2nd Gen and Later), Echo Dot (2nd Gen & 3rd Gen), Echo Show, and Fire TV streaming media players to your Wi-Fi network very easily. With Wi-Fi simple setup, you can also connect new Amazon devices such as the Amazon Basics Microwave and Amazon Smart Plug to your same Wi-Fi network.
How to Setup Amazon Echo Plus Using Wi-Fi Simple Setup
Let’s have a look at how you can set up Amazon Echo Plus proper. Here are the steps that you can use to set up your Echo Plus using Wi-Fi simple setup:
- Unbox your Amazon Echo Plus which you must have used your Amazon account to purchase. Note that for the setup to work you must have saved your Wi-Fi network credentials to Amazon.
- Place your Echo Plus at least 20 cm from any walls and 6 ft from your Wi-Fi router.
- Plugin your Amazon Echo Plus using the power adapter. It comes with a 100V – 240V, 30W, 1A – 50/60 Hz international power adapter. All you’ll need to do is to change the plug to suit your country power ratings.
- You will hear “Hello, bringing your device online. Just a moment”. This statement is usually translated into other languages depending on the country where you are.
Next, you will hear, “Your device is ready”. This is the power of Wi-Fi Simple Setup. You just plug in the Echo device and Wi-Fi simple setup will complete the entire set process on your behalf.
How to Setup your Amazon Echo Plus if you don’t have your Wi-Fi Credentials saved to Amazon
Alternatively, if you don’t have your Wi-Fi credentials saved to Amazon or still use older devices like Echo Dot (1st Gen), Echo (1st Gen), and Amazon Tap, you use Alexa App to set up your Amazon Echo Plus. Below are the steps that you can use:
- Plug the micro USB cable into the back of your Amazon Echo Plus.
- Connect the standard USB end into the power adapter, then into a wall socket. When the initialization process is complete, Alexa will tell you that you are ready to get online.
- Launch the Alexa App on your mobile phone or tablet. If you don’t have the app, you can download the app from Google Play Store for Android or Apple App Store for the iOS devices (iPhone & iPad).
- Sign in to your Amazon account. You can create a new Amazon account if you don’t have an existing one. If you already use the Amazon app on your phone, it might pick up your account automatically.
- Tap on the Devices icon at the bottom right of the Home control section of the Alexa app
- On the next page, click the + icon at the top right.
- Tap Add Device
- Choose Amazon Echo
- Select Echo Plus from the list of devices to set up.
- You will see an orange light on your Echo device. If you don’t, just tap on the Wi-Fi button to continue.
- On the Alexa app, select your Wi-Fi network. Your phone will then attempt to connect to your Echo Plus automatically. If this doesn’t happen, Enter the password of your Wi-Fi network on the Alexa app.
And your Amazon Echo Plus ready and you can ask Alexa any questions. You can also connect your Echo Plus to an external speaker using Bluetooth or an AUX cable. If you like, you can use Echo Built-in speaker instead. It’s important to note that the new Echo Plus comes with an onboard temperature sensor that you can ask Alexa about.
List of Amazon Devices that You can Setup with Wi-Fi Simple Setup
The following devices will use the in-built Wi-Fi simple setup to automatically connect to your home Wi-Fi network using your saved Amazon credentials. This makes the setup of your Amazon devices very easy and convenient. Here is the list of Amazon devices that you can set up with Wi-Fi Simple Setup:
- Amazon Echo Plus & Echo Show (2nd Gen or later)
- Echo Dot (3rd Gen)
- Fire TV Stick 4K
- Amazon Smart Plug
- Fire TV Cube
- Amazon Basics Microwave
- Fire TV Stick (2nd Gen),
- The Basic Edition of Fire TV Stick
- Fire TV (3rd Gen)
How to Connect Audio Sources – Laptop, PC or Mobile Phone to your Echo Devices.
Most of your compatible Echo devices have Audio In facility. So, you can use the 3.5mm audio cable to play audio from an external audio source such as a desktop computer, laptop and mobile phone, on your compatible Echo device. All you’ll need to do is to configure your aux settings in the Alexa app. Below are the steps that you can use to connect audio sources like laptop, PC, & mobile phone to your Echo devices:
- Turn on your audio source.
- Plug one end of the 3.5mm audio cable into your Echo device and the other end into your audio source (laptop, PC, or mobile phone)
- Open the Alexa App.
- On the Home Screen, select the Devices icon.
- Select your device, and then select AUX Audio.
- Tap Line In and you are good to go.
Note that placing the devices 3 ft apart will give the best results. Switching to the audio cable if you are already streaming music from the cloud and your audio cable is plugged is very simple. Just say, “Switch to audio cable”. This will automatically activate the audio in.
Amazon Echo Plus costs about $149.99 but delivers crisp vocals. It comes with Dolby powered dual speakers that can fill your rooms with immersive 360 sound quality. Amazon Echo Plus has seven microphones and can hear you from any direction, even while music is playing. It gives you the ability to stream music from your audio sources to your Echo device. You can also control compatible smart home devices such as light bulbs, plugs, temperature sensors, etc.